frames tables postcards index your description

Wednesday 15 June 2011

Tutorial: DIY Polkadot nails

So I have a fab new look to show you guys! Here is a fabulous trick to get polka dot nails! Now I love polkadot nails to death! The look is just so kitch and cute! But I can NEVER get polkadots to look like polkadots (even vaguely) with a normal polish brush, and I have the same problem with nail art pens, it's all far too fiddly for me!

Now some of you might now that my sister moved to Australia a few months ago, and since she left her flat and couldn't take all her stuff with her, I was treated to a cosmetics haul! One of the favourite things I got was an old No 7 nail polish, check out the old logo! I love it! I personally think it's a lot better than their current one! I wonder why they changed it.

The shade that I have is a lovely off white, ivory shade called 'Anniversary' I think it's an absolutely lovely colour and I think it's a perfect setting to my first nail tutorial!



So care to see how to get some awesome nails? Here are my secrets to getting some perfect polkadots on your nails!


So for my base coat I chose my favourite (god you guys must think I'm a yawn!) Opi's Siberian Nights, I thought it would make a really nice contrast with the Anniversary shade. Yes, my secret to polkadots is a headphone adaptor, I am not a mad woman, I am actually quite thrifty, just wait and see. 


(sorry for my icky fingers, this was taken on a very nervy day at work and pre clean up) 
So I always apply polish as a double coat just so it lasts longer, of course it's not neccesary but it will just make the polish last a lot longer! Just make sure that the polish is applied well and that it's 100% dry before the next step. 


So grab your headphone adaptor and paint the top with the brush of your chosen top coat. Dab your nail with the adaptor to create your chunky polkadots!  You'll need to repaint the adaptor after every two or three dabs, just be consistant with them, and try not to splodge them. (wow I never realised just how fun a word splodge was to say!)


So here you go! Your gorgeous polkadot nails in under five minutes! Please link me to your posts to let me know what colours you used! Of course you don't have to use a headphone adaptor! There are plenty of other household items you can use to make polkaots of various sizes! Pin heads, safety pins, hanger ends, lighters, hair clips, pens, screwdrivers, etc. Who needs a nail bar when there is so much potential in your own home!?

What do you think about making DIY looks like this a permanent blog feature? Let me know :)

Sophie 
xo

2 comments:

  1. Love them!! Would a cotton bud work?? Yes you should do more DIY beauty posts!! Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you used an adapter. Very creative. I always use the tip of a sewing pin.
    This is my similar version:

    http://thebeautyfreakjah.blogspot.com/2011/07/cute-polka-dot-nails.html

    ReplyDelete

Home Home Home Home